So happy to be writing from the comforts of my New Glasgow home! Two weeks ago my house mates and I had a pretty major flood. Living in a house with a bunch of musicians means we are never really all there at the same time… So unfortunately while The Danger Bees ( @thedangerbees ) were out on tour- our whole house filled with water- all three floors. Luckily we were safe in that no gear or instruments were damaged. There was even a dry circle surrounding David’s grandfathers cello in the upstairs hall way. Some of my belongings were toast- including my laptop and odds and ends… This prompted an unexpected move down the road into a beautiful hobbit house. Bumbalina is over joyed that she can go out on the patio and that there is Air Conditioning. I just wanted to include this little section on the floor as a thank you to the people who kept me alive that whole week- Joanne, Melissa, Dave Y. , Matt, and Bryan at Relish Bar and Grill ( The Lish) and the wonderful friends at Vox TO for coming to rescue with towels and hugs. Also my amazing friends who helped me move and pack in about 5 hours in 38 degree weather. Amazing.
While we are talking about water problems- unfortunately the Natal Day Kick Off in Halifax was rained out yesterday. Don’t fret Halifax- We will revisit this on August 22nd – 1230PM in Grand Parade! August 14th and 15th I’ll be doing the ferry crossings from Nova Scotia to PEI and back- the 12:45 departures. If you don’t get off the boat you don’t have to pay- so if you just want to spend the day on the water, pack a lunch and listen to me play- I won’t tell on you.
Thanks again to those of you who have been sharing the video- in sticking with the theme of giving you things to make… Here is my favorite peach jam recipe. Local peaches are in full force in Nova Scotia- use them up and give these babies out as hostess gifts. Please- no more scented candles. No offense to the candle industry.
- 7 medium-large peaches
- 1 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 large pot
- 1 large bowl filled with cold/ice water
- potato masher
- Wash your peaches well. Gently place in a pot of boiling water- Boil for 45 seconds- this is to loosen the skin. If they aren’t exactly ripe you can leave them in for up to one minute.
- Transfer peaches into a bowl of ice water- being careful not to bring any of that hot water along with them.
- Once peaches are cool, peel them with a pairing knife.
- Once you’ve peeled all the peaches dice them and place them back into your pot- adding the agave nectar, grapefruit juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Mash lightly with your potato masher.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat – allow to simmer for 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container for up to one month.